I'm stepping onto a soap box today (I know, aren't I always on one?) since I've been sulking for the last few days over the results of a proposed smoking ban here in Amarillo. Saturday was the second election in 3 years to be defeated by a narrow margin...50.72% of the voters voted against the ban, a difference of only 238 votes. In 2005, it was defeated by about 550 votes. The ban would have eliminated smoking in restaurants, bars, and within 10 feet of public building entrances. Sadly, the opponents of the ban claimed it was a violation of rights to create the ordinance.
I am disappointed that 238 votes have protected the right to smoke in restaurants for less than 25% of the population in Amarillo that does smoke. Ironically many of these same voters claim the seat belt law is a ridiculous law as well...'it should be the vehicle occupants choice to wear a seat belt.' My argument that the smoking ban, seat belt laws, and drunk driving infractions save lives doesn't hold as much weight as the rights of the people. I am grateful to live in the US where we do have the right to vote and express our opinions...it's just sad when that right means more than the health of our community.
Smoking is the leading cause of preventable death in the United States. We lose almost as many people annually to the detrimental effects of secondhand smoke as were lost in the Vietnam War.
Personally I don't think anyone has the right to compromise my health or the health of my family. I shouldn't have to stink like smoke when I enter/exit a building because a smoker has chosen to light up in front of the door. (You know...my rights end where yours begin saying...I can't just punch you because I feel like it and I'm equating smoke to a punch).
If some smokers were courteous enough not to light up in confined spaces where others breathe, the government wouldn't have to regulate their behavior. I'm not trying to tell smokers they can't buy tobacco or smoke. Just don't force byproducts of bad habits on others. Smoking is offensive and a health hazard. And the butts that litter the street are pretty disgusting too.
Oh, Amarillo I think the only group that lost this weekend was our city.
Okay, I'll step down now before my Uncle disowns me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
That's right!
Post a Comment