Tuesday, August 5, 2008

I'm tired

It has been a long week and it's only Tuesday. Saturday I had to work on rummage stuff in the morning...will the JLA rummage sale ever get here? But Saturday evening, Matt and I had a date. Can't remember the last time we got to eat dinner and see a movie, just the 2 of us. Thank you Bobo and Pops! This week we are trying swim lessons. Grayson has successfully learned to dunk his head under water and Matalley, well she just splashes away. We also broke the microwave...the bottom just cracked and fell in. Who knows how much radiation I was exposed to before that. And over the range microwaves are ridiculously expensive. Haven't microwaves been around for at least 25 years? Why are they so expensive? We want for nothing though, as God provides everything.

I finished reading The Happiest Toddler on the Block (about 3 weeks ago) and am just now getting around to posting about it. I think the first half was a waste (I don't care if it works, I am not going to talk toddler-ese to my kid in the middle of the grocery store), but the second half of the book was pretty good. I especially liked the following suggestions:

1. Put check marks on your child's hand during the day when they do something you like and then at the end of the day, talk about what each check mark was for. Kids love visual reminders of being good and it pumps up their ego when you review the day.
2. Sometimes feelings just need to be validated before negotiating/reasoning is possible.
3. Gossip good things about your child in a whisper but loud enough that your child can overhear you. It makes them feel even more special if they think you are telling something you don't want them to hear.

K,back to the grind. I have a huge project due for work and this part-time stuff is making it last even longer than it needs to. I just want to get it done so that I can move on to something else. And also so that my boss won't fire me:)

1 comment:

petiteblogger said...

I like the check-mark on the hands, that's a fun idea! I would just have to try hard to remember what they were for... :)