Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Other Day

Some days are more fun than others. Today falls into the other category. I am about to tattle on my children and I hope that you will read and dismiss without mentioning it to any of them. I would hate for Grayson to feel betrayed but since this is a memory book of our family, I want to capture today.

Kindergarten has a point system. Blue = 2 hearts, Green = 1 heart, Yellow = no hearts (not bad though...just a normal day), and Red = note home. Grayson's goal is to get green or blue since at the end of the month, hearts are traded in for recognition (lunch with the teacher, lunch with a friend in a special section of cafeteria, and other special privileges). So every day when we pick Grayson up, Matalley immediately asks Grayson what kind of a day he had. Today was not a good day. Some of the boys have decided wrestling is a fun way to disrupt class. Matalley got in the car and sensed the mood, "You got red?" she asked so innocently. I was disappointed too; Grayson is usually in the blue or green zone. So, I made Grayson write an apology note and this is what he came up with, "I am sorry for disrupting class. I promise to never disrupt class again." I told him it was a little far reaching promise but appreciated the sentiments. I think the hardest thing for Grayson is fessing up to Matt so with my disappointment, the letter, and anticipation of telling Matt, I think Grayson got the jist.

Matalley fed off of the anticipation though. As soon as Matt got home, she told him that she had a double purple day which means she was the best in the class (all made up of course). At dinner, I asked Grayson to tell us about his day and Matalley just kept egging him on to say what color he ended up on. At one point, Grayson said, "Now where was I?" and Matalley replied, "RED!" How is it that this brother she loves so much and misses terribly while he's away, is the same brother she wants to see get punished. How is sibling rivalry so inherent at this young age?

Here's hoping we have a BLUE day tomorrow!

No comments: