Saturday, December 27, 2014

Our First Spelling Bee (or the first one I knew about)

So that little spelling bee that I mentioned in my last post was actually a really big deal...much bigger than I realized at least. Grayson was super nervous going to school because he was going to have to stand in front of people (the idea of public speaking freaks him out) and both Matt and I downplayed the whole thing. I had asked Grayson if he wanted me to come and he said, "No, Mom, I don't want anyone there."

So at noon when I received a text from a friend letting me know that she would see me at the spelling bee in an hour, I panicked a little. I called the school to find out if parents were indeed invited (a lot of parents at our elementary school are a little helicopter-ish so I try to avoid that if at all possible). My call made me feel worse, "if I had the opportunity to attend any of my child's activities, I would." I packed up the younger 2 and headed to school. I actually started tearing up when I walked in the cafeteria and saw all the 3rd, 4th and 5th graders sitting at the base of the stage and a TON of parents all prepared with cameras and obviously each had studied with their child and prepped them for the National spelling bee in D.C. Now I know that Grayson is smart and he has as much of a shot as any, but if I think logically, I just know he's not going to be a professional speller. He hates studying, hates public speaking, and is just not into spelling bees. I have no qualms about our laissez-faire attitude in preparing for the school bee but I just felt awful that I hadn't prepared him even a little for the pomp and circumstance. Plus when you are at a bee and you have to be silent, a 10 month old and 3 year old are not good accomplices. I was just praying that he wouldn't miss the first word (nerves got a few kids out early).
I was so elated that he made it to the 5th round!!  He could have gone on, had he not been so nervous and forgot a vowel in his excitement of spelling parameter. I bet he never forgets how to spell it now. His basketball teammates were cheering him on (love that they were supporting him) despite his flub. I think he was the last 3rd grader standing which is just awesome. But honestly, I was so proud of how nonchalant he was about being in the bee in the first place. I did complain to the principal (or make a suggestion) that a note be sent to the participants' parents inviting them to attend and letting them know the rules. I know that Grayson bears the responsibility for figuring it out, but obviously other parents have more talkative kids. Thank goodness one of them was willing to take pictures and send them to me.
Way to go Grayson!!

No comments: