Sunday, December 20, 2015

Month of Productions

In past years, I've had to be mindful of the tree ornaments or nativity set, this year, it's the candles and kid size nutcracker. Millie is drawn to the Nutcracker's sword and wields it daily as a weapon. She reminds me of the monkeys in the Wizard of Oz fighting for the wicked witch. Sad for our emasculated Nutcracker.
This month we enjoyed a production of Rudolph

And my Tiny Tim (only a few more days for the cast, we hope) and I saw the Nutcracker with friends.
We helped promote the school fundraiser for the food bank and made a cameo appearance on the news.
We also had a few productions of our own. The older kids were in a choir concert at church

And the younger two were in a Christmas programs at school. Lola played Mary in the "Bethlehem Bible School Musical." She did not appear to be the happiest Mary but knew all the words and has been singing them at home all month.

 Millie had a small part looking cute. She danced along with the bells.
Bobo, Pops and Tia were on hand for the production.
The week included 4 school parties in one day...really within a 2 hour time span. We took gingerbread playdoh and Grinch fruit kabobs to the first two parties but Millie was more interested in the cookie frosting...

The older two parties were a little more chaotic due to the size of the crowd and excitement for school vacation. We brought a treat ball of saran wrapped goodies to Matalley's party and prepared a snowball fight with tissue paper. When I was the homeroom Mom for Grayson's party, we had a snow ball themed party and Grayson says it was the most fun school party he ever had. He might be buttering me up for better Christmas presents but it still made feel like the Grinch at the end of the movie with my heart swelling up triple. I think Matalley had a good time.
We ended the week with a trip to Chick-fil-a and the movies. Me and seven kids (1 in a wheelchair and 1 that counts as 12 kids because she is up, down, all around...spilling popcorn, taking off shoes, putting socked foot in popcorn barrel, knocking over drinks, eating popcorn off floor, laying on steps, and just generally being crazy). I was outnumbered and proud of myself to have survived.

So it stands to reason that I am quickly reminded of the need to be humble. I believe that is why I was given a girl. When I made it to the top of the rope in hard core...Matalley said, "Is that supposed to be a big deal? Because we do that all the time in gym." She also told me that since she already had Bobo and Yiayia's gifts from herself wrapped, I (and the rest of our family) was on my own coming up with gift ideas. And this week she told me my wide legged pants were too big...my only fashion advice is coming from a 7 year old. It's time like these that I am especially thankful for the lessons our Savior teaches us. And I am ever grateful for this season of Advent.

No comments: