Wednesday, March 12, 2008
Books
I am so grateful to have a child that loves books as much as Grayson does. I joke about how he'll be a nerd for the rest of his life, but it really is great that he is content to sit on his bed and read for an hour. I'm interested to find out if Matalley will be the same or completely the opposite. Many nights, however, I'm not sure what to do about Grayson's book fetish. We have a simple bedtime routine for him, brush teeth, put pjs on, watch a tv program (lately it's Diego, but we've been through Mickey Mouse, Little Einsteins, Little Bear, back to Little Einsteins, and now Diego), and then I read him 2 books and he can read 2 more to himself before I turn the light out. He loves to stall on the books...slipping in 3 or 4 books instead of 2, "read this one again", "I'm not finished yet." All of which are healthy ways to keep from going to sleep. But how can I deny him from reading??!!! Lots of parents struggle to get their kids to read just one page and I can't keep my kid from it and then I have to force him to stop. What kind of ironic message is that sending to my kid? It's the same way with water. I'm trying to limit the amount of fluids he gets before bed so that he'll stay dry during the night and yet he just cries for water at night(like I'm dehydrating him or something). I feel cruel....so goes my parental guilt.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Its the same way here, with books. My kids will read for 30 mins or more at bedtime. I finally have to turn the lamp off on them.....maybe they will get full rides somewhere!
Post a Comment