Monday, September 7, 2009

More comments from G-man

It was a great weekend for memories. We headed to Waco to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Meadowbrook Baptist Church. Pops was the pastor at the church for almost 14 years (the longest tenure of any pastor there) and it's where Matt spent the first 14 years of his life...the parsonage was just down the street from the church. We met and chatted with people from his childhood, heard cute stories, and I know the Sadler clan had fun reminiscing. My funny memory from the event..people greeting Matt, "Hi Matt!" Grayson interjecting, "His name is Daddy, not Matt." Here they are playing on the playground outside.Before the reunion, we headed to the Waco Zoo. I had been a few times while I was in college for volunteer projects and such and was just not too impressed. But wow, have they really improved the zoo. It had an amazing flow, plenty of shade trees, awesome exhibits with educational boards that I didn't have to reinterpret for Grayson (I could just read straight from the sign). My favorite comment from the zoo...Grayson pointing out falling leaves and saying, "Look Mom, it's fall at the zoo." Matalley liked riding the horse.We also spent time with "real" Mimi. She always does something special for the kids. This time, she had a big box with a window cut out of it. She made the kids Indian headdresses with real feathers. And she had bought a ton of stickers. I have awesome memories of my Great Grandfather winding the cuckoo clock for me every time I visited (and letting me pick candy out of the special candy jar)...makes me smile every time I think of him. I hope Grayson and Matalley remember all of these special things Mimi does...she's so fun!!On the long way home, we drove by the new Cowboy's stadium in Arlington and there were a ton of people for some sort of an event. Grayson wanted to know why we weren't parking to go in. Matt explained that there wasn't a game. Grayson, ever persistent, said, "well then what are all these people here for?" Matt said he didn't know and Grayson replied, "Maybe they're getting hotdogs." (That's what we do at stadiums of course).

Also on the way home, Grayson discovered a beetle that had made its way into the car. Matt said not to worry, he'd take care of it. Grayson very worriedly said, "NO, let's not take care of it."

1 comment:

Amy Jane said...

Those people were getting hotdogs at the stadium for a high school football game. A team from Utah (I think) played a team from Euless. Just in case you were wondering....LOL.