Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Sleepy Babes

Matalley's perch while watching tv in our newly staged living room...She also is thoroughly enjoying her "new" bed. We took a rail off her crib about a month ago and she loves it. I catch her talking to her babies about sleeping in her bed with her. "You want to sleep up here? Okay. Just lay right here and you have to be quiet." Then a little while later, I catch her with most of her babies sleeping right next to her.
Last week was the last of MDO for the summer. Already I'm feeling like the summer is going by way too fast, but that is all part of my new project...balancing our fun summer plans with our moving plans. The last day of MDO was a pajama movie day for the kids. G dressed the part but forgot his stuffed animal or blanket (G doesn't usually sleep with either but he was upset when we arrived at school and ALL the other kids had one). I felt bad that I had forgotten to tell him to bring something and so I offered to go back home and get one. OOPS!! There are not many times that I do something as a parent and immediately get the "oops" feeling (usually it's much later after the damage has already been done). I contemplated my mistake the whole way home...how am I teaching him responsibility if I offer to fix it? The lesson he's learning is that if I mess up or forget, Mom will fix it. Now I realize he's 4 and there are a whole host of lessons to be learned as he grows up, but I don't want to set a bad precedent. And here was the perfect opportunity to say, Grayson you are cool without your stuffed animal, you can make it a day without it, and next time you'll remember what you are supposed to bring (but I never told him he could bring it and that's the reason I was so ready to fix it). So now I break out into song, Que sera, sera....while secretly feeling guilty. At least we ended the school day on a high note...no, it's not a cigar...just a tootsie roll. Should I poll everyone on whether it was a mistake to crack up at my son posing with a fake cigar in his mouth?

No comments: