Monday, June 7, 2010

Summer School

Lessons learned yesterday:
  1. Telling the kids repeatedly to not touch the electrical outlets does not work. Even when you make up stories that a spider lives in the electrical outlet box and is going to bite the tip of their finger off if they touch it (worked on me and now I'm deathly afraid of spiders), Grayson was caught again removing more outlet covers in another room. Matalley could also care less what I said and did electrocute herself yesterday while I was putting up tape to paint her new room and Matt was pulling up carpet tacks. Thankfully it was just a tiny shock but I hope she learned her lesson. And that Grayson learned it too .
  2. Kid scissors are sharper than I thought. Grayson, frustrated that the toothpaste lid wouldn't pop up, decided to use his kid scissors to cut the end of the tube off. It is a clean cut and there is no toothpaste remaining.
  3. Apparently the most important thing about birthday parties is the quantity of cake. I was invited to several "pretend" parties, all with the promise of good cake and multiple servings...it was written on the invitations.
  4. People on drugs are whack. Yesterday a homeless man(who was obviously high) asked Grayson and I for money to buy some food. Our church provides soul sacks (brown paper bags with a breakfast bar, fruit snacks, juice box, ticket for a free meal at faith city mission, and literature on our church) so we gave him one of those instead. He said thank you but asked for money to buy a drink. I explained that there was a drink with the food in the bag. He tore into it and drank the juice. Meanwhile, Grayson decides to give him a cupcake he received from a birthday party we'd been too. I was prouder than a peacock at his generosity. Sadly, when we walked back by, the cupcake and all contents of the bag were sitting by the trash can and the man was gone. Grayson said, "well I guess he wasn't hungry."

No comments: