Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Happy Birthday Bompa!

So I'm a little late with my birthday messages but I think Bompa knows how much we love him because we had not one but TWO celebrations. Last week, Mom and Dad come down for Lola's dedication at church and to help me out for the Roots & Wings banquet. I could not have pulled off the event without them...dropping off/picking up/entertaining 3 cute kids so that I could work. The event was more than double the number of attendees last year and God was good to us again making sure all the little snafus didn't interfere with our efforts. I can't thank Mom and Dad enough for easing my stress level. They did find it HILARIOUS when my boss told them I was awesome for how calm and collected I always appeared. I don't know why that surprised them:)

Anyway, we hosted a little birthday shindig in Amarillo complete with southern fried chicken, mashed potatoes, cream gravy, creamed corn, roasted brussel sprouts (thanks Krissy for making those) and chocolate cake with boiled frosting. I called 3 bakeries the week before trying to find a cake with boiled frosting and noone knew what I was talking about. I think I've attempted it 4 times in my life and every year fail to emulate my Grandmother's recipe but this year, I found a blogged recipe that just about matched whatever it was she used to make. WooHoo! It was delish. I think Bompa was happy but little did he know what we were planning for the week after.

SUPPLIES! Happy 60th! We know he was surprised to have his friends and family in attendance for the big bash. He certainly wasn't expecting the Amarillo clan (we arrived about an hour before he did and surprised everyone).
Cute cousin Benjamin...My brother was in typical form:)We got a little mushy which was funny since it was just his 60th, not his 90th birthday; but it was a fun night. Grayson and Matalley were beside themselves with excitement (even if they didn't want to drive...they prefer to fly which is why I hope they are VERY wealthy when they grow up). The next day 9 adults and 7 kids invaded the zoo with every other Denver resident and enjoyed the beautiful weather. We leisurely strolled through the zoo and finished up the day with dinner at White Fence Farm. It was great.
Grayson was wound up...Grayson couldn't wait to be reunited with Nicholas...he asked me a zillion times when we would see them again.
Like the do rag out of a long sleeve t? Third time Mommy forgets hat but I can improvise:)

No comments: