This past weekend, we celebrated the life of Matt's Uncle Johnny (as he was affectionately known). He died after a second brief battle with lung cancer. He was a good man and will definitely be missed.

While I was very sad to receive the news, I was also concerned with how to handle death discussions with the kids. The last family death we dealt with happened when Grayson was 2. It was providential that Easter has just occurred since we discussed often what Jesus' death meant. Of course, that also meant that Matalley initially stated, "So Uncle Johnny died on the cross so we could go to Heaven!" I checked out some books from the library and we discussed what we would see. I still don't think Grayson was prepared to see Johnny's earthly body at the visitation. The kids got up ahead of me and I was trying not to be rude to people coming towards me but I really wanted to go in with them to limit the shock value. I guess time will tell how well they will handle death in the future but so far we haven't had any nightmares or impossible questions.
It was good to be with family. I wonder how family get togethers will be like in the future. Hopefully we will go about much the same. We played a family game of kickball after the funeral. Grayson has declared it his new favorite game. I think, as a sports enthusiast, Johnny would have liked knowing we were playing a mildly athletic game while missing him. Praises to God for limiting his suffering and many prayers for those he left behind that love him!
A bedtime treat of chocolate shakes and french fries from 'In and Out'...all were happy to partake.

Two McDannel daughters and their daughters

Tia and Matalley (was her hair ever curly!!)

Jackie, Matalley, Tamara, and Jeremy. They were good to play guess the letter with Matalley.
1 comment:
So glad you guys were all able to make it. I think we all honored John well. I am so grateful to be part of such an amazing extended family. Love and hugs!!
Post a Comment