My prayers before we left:
1. Safety and Health
2. To be placed outside of my comfort zone (I was thinking more of evangelism)
3. For Grayson to experience a life changing perspective
God answered my prayers.
I don't think I'm a teacher or that it's what I was meant to do (I took an aptitude test in college that proved teaching was in the bottom half of my "gifts"). Ironically, I was given VBS duty on the mission trip with 2 other adults of the 20 individuals that went on the trip. I wanted to paint (which I did for a couple of afternoons), but instead I was given 500 kids over 4 days to teach the love of Jesus. I was out of my comfort zone.
I also am a germ-a-phobe (do I need to repeat all my poop on the floor scare tactics?) and Honduras is a third world country. It's the second poorest country in the western hemisphere. 50% of the population is under the age of 19. You can't drink the water and most bathroom toilets are holes in the ground. Animals live in the same spaces as humans which means the smell of waste is everywhere. Trash cans are non-existent. Many of the kids at VBS were orphans because the parents died from an AIDS epidemic. They didn't mind peeing on themselves, the open sores on their eyes, or the lice in their hair. I was out of my comfort zone.
Things I am thankful for:
- That my trainer makes me do so many squats each week. It really came in handy for the bathroom.
- Vegetables in the USA
- That Grayson and I managed to brush our teeth, take showers, and eat enough to keep us from starving, all while not drinking the water. God kept us in good health.
- In a county with the highest murder rate and guards at every entrance and towers at the gas station, God kept us safe.
- That although I wanted Grayson to see the poverty and lack of materialism to change his perspective of life at home, he instead only found joy in playing with the children and making friends. He will remember this mission trip with fondness and want to go on future mission trips. And a desire to serve is definitely a life changing perspective that I prayed for.
I took over 300 pictures, here are just a few:
We had dinner at the English Field House Restaurant the morning of our flight (on our summer fun to do list)
Grayson got to see inside the cockpit and earned some wings on our flight to San Pedro Sula, Honduras
Our first night, the hotel was clean and had very steep, small stairs to the second floor room with no air conditioning or fan and Grayson woke with a smile on his face.
Heading to our school bus (transportation for the week) with the other 3 kids under the age of 10. They all did so well on the trip.At a soccer field in the garifuna village near Tela, Honduras. This guy just went across our field as we were playing and that is why there is a lot of animal feces for the kids to step in and then sit in and then ask to be held...
Praying with the children our first morning of VBS
Grayson's first time in the ocean (well 4 months old doesn't really count).
Painting the school for the orphan children in the afternoon.
Our view from the school...
This little boy was so excited to receive soccer socks...
My friends Katy, Frank (the tank), and Christina...Wednesday was a fun day and we rode a speed boat to an Island (another first for Grayson)...
The trip was beautiful!
tried skipping rocks in the cove
drank from coconuts
snorkled
and played in the sand after a fresh fish fry with plantain chips.
We saw dolphins on the way back to Tela
That night we played soccer games against the garifuna children. Grayson played exceptionally well, scoring 3 goals on these kids and keeping his cool...no celebratory dances and he played hard the whole time with no breaks, even after he was kicked in the face (I kept my cool too). I was a proud Momma.
A nice house in Mesepita
Grayson explaining God's love on the last day of VBS
Celebrating completion of the school. This woman braided my hair at the soccer game and is a mother to many of the orphaned children.
My only picture with Grayson
The finished school...would love to see this in a few years.
No comments:
Post a Comment