Friday, November 1, 2013

Happy Halloween Drama!

We had a fun, albeit crazy Halloween.  The day started with career day at school.  Grayson wants to play in the NBA, hence the Dirk jersey and Matalley wants to be a doctor.  Grayson went to school in sweats (After a LONG fight conversation, I convinced him that even NBA players have a warm up jersey...DRAMA) but apparently he changed before school actually started. 

I noticed that the majority of boys plan to play football someday.  Matalley said lots of girls came as Moms and that the other doctors had entire doctor kits so she wasn't too happy with me (DRAMA).

Matt had promised lunch with the kids all week...using it as a reward for some menial task they completed and so despite his desire to get down to Lubbock to be with Pops (in the hospital for chest pain), he managed to take the kids lunch before heading down.  I picked the kids up from school like normal and was immediately bombarded with the request to go on a friend(T)'s hayride..."Mom, this is T's phone number, please call her so we can go on the hayride."  Matalley did not like my response that we can't just invite ourselves over to a hayride.  "If T wants you to be there, her Mom will have to call me."  This resulted in lots of words and pouting and general dislike of me before T's Mom did call me and invite us over (DRAMA).  So, we ended up trying to cram 3.5 hours of tradition into 2 to get to the hayride in time.  While I was working on the pumpkin stew, the kids carved pumpkins (yes, I'm crazy...they could have cut off a finger but it was a time management call). 

Lola exercised her two-ness and did not want to help, so she did this...

The kids were sweet enough to let me talk them into costumes with a theme again this year.  Grayson originally wanted to be an army man and Matalley wanted to be Ariel and Lola was to be her little sister...also a mermaid.  I figured out that the most important thing to Grayson was the gun and I remembered some cute flapper girl dresses Mom made for me and Krissy when we were almost the same age.  Sadly, the costumes are long gone but I was able to make something close enough and this year it was warm enough that the girls didn't have to wear sweatpants underneath them (my experience).  There wouldn't have been room anyway, Lola's dress was almost too small...she ripped it after wearing it all day and I had to quickly repair it before we headed to the hayride.

The hayride was fun and chaotic.  Grayson made up with his friends (note to Grayson: Do not tell another girl in class who your friend "likes."  Your friend will get mad) about the time that Matalley started crying that "T" was being mean.  It looked like T wanted to run from house to house and Miss M did not so that was unnecessary DRAMA.  We left before the hayride was over (2 hours later) because it was cold and chaotic with kids in costume running everywhere and I had no control over any of it because my belly makes me slow and I was trying to keep from losing Lola. 

I might have been the bahumbug of Halloween:)  We arrived home with too much candy, Lola had eaten at least 5 pieces on the way home and had sticky hands, feet, face, ears, etc. We had a quick dinner with Matt before Matt took them to a few neighbor houses to say hello and then I sent everyone to bed due to sheer exhaustion.  I forget how tiring holidays can be when the kids are over excited and then I added another 20 pounds to that which just makes me tucker out quicker.

I found the kids this morning laughing and talking about their haul.  The giggling was too sweet...totally worth the DRAMA of the day before.  Hope you had a Happy Halloween too!

No comments: