Friday, March 21, 2014

Some Days You're the Bug

I know that all Mommies have their moments when organizing chaos is an utter failure.  I have those days more often than not and you just have to keep swimming (as Dory says).  Yesterday was one such day and it sort of spilled into yesterday.  As hard as I try to keep my chin up and carry on, I really just want to get in the van and keep driving far, far away.  Whoever said 4 kids is easier than 3 must not have 4 kids because the logistics of getting 4 kids to do what you want done when you want it done and without fighting just doesn't happen. Also, it was a lot easier for me to ignore the noise of 3 kids than it is to ignore the noise of 4. Don't get me started on the noise level when friends are over.
Yesterday, at 2:55 as I was loading Millie in the car to pick up Grayson, she was jostled enough to wake her up (mainly because I tripped over the shoes that I had asked Matalley to pick up 456 times since the day before).  Waking her up caused her to start crying for food and in my rush to get out the door, I was not able to calm her before her face turned beet red and the only way to stop her was to feed her.  Feeding her takes at least 20 minutes and since school gets out at 3, I was in a conundrum (listen to screaming red face baby for the 15 minutes it takes for me to get to school, wait through the pick up line and get home or feed her and leave Grayson wondering if I actually followed through with my threat to keep driving far, far away).  As I contemplated my decision, I kept yelling at Matalley and Lola to get in the car and lo and behold, Lola comes out in her birthday suit because she had an accident.  I know she didn't mean to have an accident but how in the world did the timing have to be so darn poorly executed? Now I do live in Amarillo and have some wonderful friends who I can call on in a pinch and thankfully one of them was able to pick up Grayson for me and I fed Millie and Lola sat in the bathtub until I was able to give her a bath and Matalley came in from the car 20 minutes later wondering why she was by herself. And when Grayson got home he proceeded to tell me about an accident at the playground where he fell and his arm really hurts. I asked what the school nurse told him and he said he never went to the school nurse because his teacher told him he was fine. So I said "we'll look at it later, we're late for drum practice" and after drum practice we rushed home to get dinner before church. Yes, his arm looked swollen and yes, he babied it, but it was after hours for the doctor so I sent him to bed with advil.  This morning it was still swollen so I took him to urgent care and guess what? Grayson has a broken arm. 
He was in good spirits until the doctor said no sports for 4 weeks.

So after yesterday and today and all the little snafus in between, I am worn out. I have a feeling that it will be that way for a LONG time. Sadly, my kids have no clue what that feeling is like and how much it hurts then when they decide life is too hard at home and run away to the fence across the street (just glad it's not far, far away). 

2 comments:

Katherine Dodds said...

So sorry for your difficult day. Hope you had a better one today. Love you

Katherine Dodds said...

So sorry for your difficult day. Hope you had a better one today. Love you