Monday, August 18, 2014

Family Camp

Family Camp rocks! It's kind of a pain to pack the entire family for a 2 night stay when you have to pack bedding, towels, clothing for hot and cold and rain, extra clothing for river soaked clothes, flashlights, etc. But it is totally worth it when you get to camp and the kids cover their faces in sticky smores.
 And when they are wearing 20 different glow in the dark necklaces.
 And when we are totally focused on family because there is no where else to go, no technology distractions and entertainment is each other.
 Grayson's favorite part was our family walk up the river. Millie fell asleep (Lola called it a forest nap) and we lost a few walking sticks while getting our socks/shoes totally soaked.
My favorite part was watching my little boy crawl up a 10 ft. ladder and then shimmy up a pole to stand on top of it and jump for a trapeze. With every step he said he couldn't do it and yet he did. It took him a while to finally make the plunge but it was so cool to see him overcome a fear.
I think Grayson is just glad to be on the ground again in this picture but I hope he feels proud of himself. It was a big leap, especially when he was determined not to do the rock wall this year (I think the rock wall is way less scary). I also think Matt is pretending his eyes are watering from allergies in this pic.
Something I learned on the hike: Grayson explained that if a horse fly bites a horse that has eaten any sugar, the horse fly will taste sweet. How does he know this? He tried it. (blech)
 There were also sword fighting three year olds.
And family flags at church Sunday morning which happened to be outside with some beautiful scenery and a baptism of a dear friend in the pond.
 And lots of rock climbing
Lola's favorite part was the smores. Matalley's favorite part was being in nature. I think Millie was happy to have people holding her (she was held by everyone at some point). The kids asked me every day for the last month if this was the week to go to family camp and then once I said yes, they asked if it was the day until finally I said yes. I love the excitement and yes, we are all ready to go again next year.

No comments: