Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Blessed Disturbance

Blessed Disturbance is what I'm calling those moments that throw me for a loop. Do I like goo in the cracks on my kitchen table, caprisun sugar all over the back seat of the van, or goldfish crumbs in the couch? Heck no, but the plan of my day was disrupted anyway. You don't always get what you want. I did get 4 beautiful, active children. They make the weekends so much more fun (and exhausting). Grayson just finished up his flag football season. Sadly the last game was a loss. The boys were not very happy about it but they played well together and now they move on to basketball. One of Grayson's friends has a little sister who is Matalley's best friend. Football games were so much more entertaining to Matalley when she could play on the sidelines.
We made it a rule that the girls had watch the game when big brother was in the game but Millie didn't really adhere to those rules.
 The boys were all smiles at half-time when we were ahead.
 After the game, we sprinted (drove quickly) to the Fannin History Festival. The local middle school puts on a historical "tradeshow" with various volunteers. We've had a conflict every year and I was determined we were going to visit the fundraiser this year. The kids loved it (well at least Grayson and Matalley) so I'm thinking a trip to the Henry Ford Museum or Williamsburg will be great vacations. They asked a lot of great questions from each rep. There were gun collections from the revolutionary war, civil war, vietnam war, glass blowing, feather ink pen practice, bullet and candle making, teepees and tents, etc. It was very impressive. The kids got to honk the horn of a real Model T and watch the owner crank it up to get it running.
I love that they were able to contrast the differences between a first model car and then onto a war vehicle.
We rounded out the day with a trip to the Amarillo Balloon festival. It's quite a bit smaller than the Albuquerque Balloon Festival but still beautiful to watch.
After walking around for a bit, Grayson said, "so this is all it is?" A vacation to the Albuquerque Balloon Festival may not be on our agenda after all.
 I also took the kids to the Dollar Store to select some prizes for the school fundraiser (it's my way of getting out of buying a bunch of stuff we don't need just so they can get a cheap prize). Lola and Matalley selected goo which ended up in my car and all over my dining room table. That made it not really a great deal for me but that's why I buy furniture off of craigslist instead of a nice furniture store. Sadly in addition to the goo in the car, we lost something else. I still don't know what it was, but it smelled AWFUL! I thought something died in there. We searched everything, pulled out all the seats and used Norwex to wipe it all down. There was no smoking gun (sippy cup under chair or cheese stick hidden between the seats). I had to drive with the windows down to keep from gagging. I think a mouse climbed up into the bottom of the van and then fell out on the drive somewhere because eventually I was able to make a trip without smelling anything. Thankful for the many blessings we see every day, even the blessed disturbances.

1 comment:

Amy Jane said...

Betsy and I are planning a possible trip to Annapolis next summer and we're including a day or 2 in Williamsburg and Jamestown!