Friday, October 3, 2014

Safeguarding the Innocent

This morning during my "quiet" time, I left the news on while I prayed (technically I was too tired to get up and turn it off but then I thought I should just pray over what I heard on the TV). Y'all this world is CRAZY! I wonder if my parents felt the same way I do about bringing kiddos into the world when it seems so self-destructive....WHAT did I do?

I wrestle with how to expose them to life while safe guarding these little hearts. I know all parents struggle with this and I pray Romans 16:19-20 over my children in maintaining their innocence. That they will be wise to what is good, innocent of what is evil and that God will crush Satan under our feet. It is just such a heavy burden. These are the things I did not contemplate long enough about before I had kids. Other things I missed...how to encourage and discipline at the same time. It is such an oxymoron! Yesterday Grayson wanted to take a very large ball to school. I wouldn't have it...pain to get to school, distraction, do the teachers even like that? And Grayson was SO stubborn. I told him if he didn't get in the car without it at that moment, then he would have to walk. And sure as I'm sitting here, he turned and walked through the house and off to school with his ball. I took Matalley and Grayson walked up while I waited for him (had to make sure he made it in the building) 5 minutes after the bell rang. He was totally fine with it. I want him to be confident and self reliant but darn it I want to be in charge too. I know God made me specifically to be these kiddos mom but man, it is hard and I feel so ill equipped.


The good things this week remind me that not all is bad. Grayson scored a touchdown in his flag football game Sunday. His catch was epic and his emotion showed tenfold upon catching it....relief and pride.
Millie is on the go and is trying to pull up...especially when she wants to be held. She pulls on my pant leg and gets mad. She is also eating everything in sight. She wants to eat whatever I am even if it's not appropriate for her. She gets really mad if you try to hide it (she's fussing right now because I won't give her chips and spicy guacamole). The others won't touch sweet potatoes (which Millie loves) so I tried to make fancy flower mounds with marshmallow centers. They were not fooled so now there is more for Millie.
Today I was also told by a stranger that Millie is 8 months, not 9 like I told her. (Her daughter is going to be 9 months on the 5th as she was born Jan. 5. I said, "Oh, well Millie was born on January 30th." And then after a minute or two, she said, "So, she really just turned 8 months then." And when I said, "I forget," I received some incredulous stares and one woman actually said, "How can you forget?" It's pretty easy actually...she is obviously advanced (that's what I would have said if I hadn't been in complete shock that I didn't know my own daughter's age but really in a few months she'll be one and then I can just go by the year...so much easier!). And I'm kind of relieved that I have another month to prepare for 9 month shots...score!

Lola loves her ballet class. 
I tried to get Matalley to take dance but she wanted gymnastics and I tried to get Lola to take gymnastics but she wanted ballet. So they are each doing what they want and my schedule is more full. Lola showed us how she makes a loud tap and soft tap.


Back to school bash was Friday and the kids loved it. It was fun to have interactions with friends and there was lots of candy.
Yesterday was crazy hair day at school. Lola requested 3 colors and then cried for at least 10 minutes because she wanted her yellow hair back. Thankfully she was all smiles on the drive to school.
We also got our house painted this week. I selected mink to go with our 80's brick. It has a little purple tint in the sun (which I wasn't prepared for) so now we live in the purple house. Matalley loves it!

Oh and Grayson's love language is not gifts or service. I made his favorite pasta this week and bought him some little gifts (new socks and things). I got nothing...

No comments: