Monday, September 8, 2008

Not in the Cards

Friday started off well, I got up and got errands done in record time. But by noon, the day fizzled. We were headed to CO at 3:55. At 12, Matalley started screaming and pulling on her ear. She'd been a little fussy all week, didn't want to be put down, etc. so I called the doctor's office after the lunch closing and the first available appointment was at 4:10. Due to the flight, they allowed Matt to take her in and just wait for a break. Which means I had to pack. I managed to get all the bags and Grayson into the garage by 2:50 and thankfully, Matt was able to arrive by 2:55 and we scrambled into the car. Then rushed to CVS to pick up the ear medicine since they do not have CVS in CO, which took a little bit of time but we still had enough time to make it to the airport. Off we went to the airport, weaving in and out of traffic. Then, about 10 miles before the airport, we had a blowout (I know 4 tires in 3 months...how is it possible?). Matt looked like he was part of a pit crew and managed to get the spare on in minutes. We still had a chance!! Got to the airport and raced to the counter....usually no one in line, Friday there were 7 people in front of us, all changing to earlier flights. Uggghh, the panic was catching up to me. At the counter she said we might make it, bags definitely would not. That's okay, we raced to security. And wouldn't you know it, "bag check". Apparently I look like a terrorist or drug dealer. Ironically, it was Matt's wallet that caused the ruckus and had to be rescreened (the money clip could have been a weapon I suppose). We got to the gate as they shut the door and you know, they can't reopen those things. We just were not meant to get on that flight. They did rebook us for the morning flight and we got to enjoy dinner with Bobo and Pops as a result, but you can probably imagine the frustration. We did get to CO though with all bags and kids. Had a great time as usual.

Matt and I caught a Rockies/Astros game. We returned home to celebrate my brother's birthday. He opened a few bottles of very nice wine. He was disappointed that I didn't love the Dumal Pinot, but the Lewis Syrah was amazing!We enjoyed a nice picnic at Wash Park Sunday afternoon.
Traveling home. Matalley has learned to shake her head no. She doesn't do it on command yet, but sometimes will copy me doing it to her.

Ironically on the way back, we arrived at the airport in PLENTY of time but Matt and Grayson almost missed the flight. I had to get on with Matalley and just hope that they got there in time (they had wandered off to get food and just had a slow cashier)...they did make it:)

4 comments:

Susan said...

Just a thought - you probably already know about this though! It is very weird that you have had so many problems with your tires! Anyway, there is a recall on specific valve stems. They are cracking and causing blow outs. I know that Discount Tire uses this specific valve stem and has notices about it. Maybe this is part of the issue? Just a thought!

As always, exciting to read about your travels!

Leslie said...

Hi! Just stopped by to check in and say hello - good to hear that you all are doing well and that you had a good time visiting the family! Love the pictures you post on here - you all are a beautiful family!!

Leslie said...

Forgot to sign my name on...it's Leslie C. Take care and know I'm thinking about you!

Shelley Roberts said...

We just missed each other in Denver! I'd LOVE to see Grayson and Matalley in person! Grayson sounds like such a little character... I'm sure Matalley will be too! Take care!