'Uncle
Jim was like a grandparent to our kids. They said what they
admire
most about Uncle Jim was his happy disposition and how easily he smiled and
laughed. He knew how to take pleasure in simple things--golf, making popcorn,
swinging outside on their glider, wood carving, eating ice cream--and not
getting too worked up about the other little details. When our
kids were little my Uncle Jim made a playhouse for them. This
little house, made out of a piece of plywood turned out to be a huge part of
their childhood. It was a house, a school, a doctor’s office, it
was ZuZu’s restaurant, it was an orphanage, it was fabulous and built with love
by my Uncle Jim.
Although
he was spirited--he knew how to have fun and could sometimes show a temper--he
also had a sweet and gentle side that was unmatched. He was so
patient and caring for others when they were sick or didn't feel
well.
They loved the way that when you talked to him on the phone you
could tell he was grinning. He had a way of asking questions and
listening to their answers that made them feel loved.
He made those
around him feel happier and thankful.
When
our daughter Kalley was born, she had to have surgery and as first time parents,
we were concerned about her future. Uncle Jim was working at Rocky
flats and we lived in Broomfield, the opposite direction from Boulder.
Even so, he would stop once or twice a week to see Kalley.
His demeanor with her assured us her future was bright and she was well
loved.
When
we needed anything, my Uncle Jim was always there. I knew I could
always depend on him. Before Kathy and I got settled, he helped us
move 5 times in three years. I would call and say - Unkie Jim.
He knew that meant we were going to move. I remember
when we left student housing and I had built our living room entertainment
center out of boards and cinder blocks. He threw the cinder blocks
out the window. We lived on the second floor. He was
hoping they would break. Instead, they buried themselves half way
into the ground. We were poor, so I dug them up and took them
anyway. When we moved to Aurora from Broomfield, he said, “I not
moving those blocks again and cracked them with a hammer.”
Aunt
Ellie and Uncle Jim were more like second parents to me than an aunt and
uncle. I remember once when I was a little boy, I wanted to go
camping. I borrowed a tent from my Uncle Jim and headed off to
wilderness with my comrades, just below Parker’s farm and half way to
Negly. Well we had taken some Kabossie to cook over the campfire
and had a big cast iron skillet. I had the idea that my rag wasn’t
big enough to use as a hot pad, so I thought I would dip it in the creek to cool
it off. Well when I wrapped it around the cast iron handle, the
water boiled and I immediately felt the pain and flipped the skillet up and let
the hot grease and water run down over my hand. Later that night,
after we went to sleep, all I could think about was the pain and it quickly
became intolerable. So we hiked back out to a little farm house
and the women let me make a phone call. I knew I couldn’t’ call my
mother as she would panic, so at 3:00 in the morning I called my Uncle
Jim. He found us within 20 minutes and took me home.
He then went back out and found the campsite, packed it up and brought it
home. He was like a super hero to me.
He
was a character and a great handy man. He could fix just about
anything, but wasn’t always patient. Things didn’t always work the
same way after he fixed them, but they did work. I remember once I
went to go in bathroom and Aunt Ellie stopped me to say Uncle Jim had fixed the
sink. She had a way of making her temples move back and then she
would roll her eyes to one side as if to say you will see what I mean.
The hot and cold water in the bathroom did turn on, but they were
reversed – everything he fixed was always just a little bit
different.
One
Christmas, he couldn’t get the Christmas tree to stand up straight, so he nailed
it to the floor. It worked. When he broke his arm
and the doctor put it in a cast, he came home and it was bothering him.
So he had a shot of Scotch, went down to the basement and cut it
off with a hack saw and said there now it’ll be fine. And it
was.
He
fell in love with wood carving. He worked for a company in
downtown DEN running an elevator on a new high rise going up. He
started witling on the wooden stool he sat on. That’s the stool
itself. Someone saw that and gave him a piece of wood to work on
instead. Look at what that turned into. Santa Claus, ducks,
animals, Mickey mouse, eagles, nativity set. He was very talented
with his hands.
I
remember watching him on the backhoe. He would tell me it’s all in
the fingers. He had four levers that he used without moving his
arms. He could do almost anything with it. The
laborers in the hole loved him, because he did most of the work for them. Some operators would just dig a hole and let them finish off the
details. He was so good at cleaning the hole; they didn’t have to
do much. If there was work around utilities, they always had him
do it because he was so careful and precise. He dug the foundation
for the house we now live in.. It is built on sand but it is so
well compacted that it hasn’t moved in 25 years.
My
Uncle Jim knew how to keep things simple. I’m not a very good
golfer and so everyone is always giving me advice. Stand a little
closer to the ball, keep your head down, transfer your weight when you swing,
yada-yada-yada, I never pay any attention to what they are saying.
The only person I ever listen to was my Uncle Jim. He would
say just hit it easy and keep it in the middle of the fairway.
If I try to kill it, it can take two or three strokes to
get to the green. If I listen my Uncle Jim, I can get there in
two. It’s a great life lesson learned for me. Keep
it simple and you will succeed.
Uncle
Jim was so well loved by his family. My cousin Stephanie took the
past10 months of her life to be with her dad and my cousin Jimmy has taken the
past and hardest month to be here; they put their lives on hold to spend it with
their dad. They made sure he got his last wish… he
wanted to die at home.
Why
did everyone love my Uncle Jim? I think it’s because he was not
pretentious. He wasn’t complicated. He never tried to be something he wasn’t. He
took pleasure in simple things. He was easy to please, easy to
laugh, he forgave easily and never took himself too seriously. He
was who he was. He had the qualities and spirit of a little
boy. My Uncle Jim had it all figured out. What is
important in life? Is it money? Is it status?
Is it really that complicated? Or is it family?
Is it just plain Love? My Uncle Jim was very
wise…
I
loved my Uncle Jim. I used to call him early in the morning once
or twice a week. He’d say Hello there Bradley, how is it out there
in beautiful Colorado. I miss our talks. He passed
last week, but for me he will always be alive in my memories. That
happy, sweet man I called my Uncle Jim.'
1 comment:
A beautiful tribute. Praying for all of your family!
Post a Comment