Sunday, August 26, 2012

Twas the Night before School

Over a week ago, I took off with the kids to spend a week in Denver...hoping to be there when my sister delivered her baby.  The ride up was fairly uneventful and the kids entertained themselves the whole way with games and books.  Aren't the sunflowers in the median beautiful?  (only good thing about the drive through NM). 
We spent the first few days hosting a garage sale for my Aunt while the kids befriended a neighbor boy and invited themselves over to his house.  His Mom was super sweet but I obviously need to give some lessons on proper guest etiquette.  They also got some play time in with Emily and Nicholas.  We  attended Lola's first Rockies game which we watched until the very end while enjoying hotdogs, peanuts, and cracker jacks (just like the song...pleasing Matalley). 
We visited the zoo on a perfect afternoon...almost had the place to ourselves.  Most of the animals were out in perfect view, including the elephants, hippos, bats, and lions (photo by Grayson).
 Grayson was a little on the ornery side
But, it's hard to stay mad at this cutie for long.
We visited ProPompa in the hospital and Lola charmed him with kisses.  Despite his memory loss, he still teased the kids like he used to tease me.  During a visit I had with him by myself, he asked me to bring the kids back and to bring them some candy for him to give them.  I sure loved him.  He died Saturday morning.  I hope he's farming the ranches in Heaven!
After picking Matt up at the airport, we visited the Children's museum with my nieces (all of this while waiting patiently for Krissy to have her baby).  Matalley makes a good firewoman...loving the pose..
  
Racing to the top with a little help from Bompa
And, we got to celebrate Grayson's birthday three times (once in CO, once on his actual birthday, and once with Bobo and Pops).  He's a lucky boy.  Check out this cool truck Bompa made for him (Grayson LOVES it)...
Birthday cupcakes...
Krissy went into labor the night before we had to come back to Amarillo.  We stayed a little later than we planned on Wednesday thinking we could greet our new niece/cousin but sadly she didn't arrive until the following morning.  Her name is Janie and she's beautiful!   We are looking forward to holding her soon.
I do think she resembles her cousins a little bit...eyes or cheeks but we are so excited for her arrival.  Getting back into the groove of things and prepping for school has been challenging.  I've noticed lots of things slipping on my end...one of which is to remember to check for scissors in the car before heading into grab Lola's milk.  I got back in the car to find Matalley using them to give Lola a haircut.  Good thing her hair is already short but you can see a bit of a bald spot now.  
  
We had our final day at the pool yesterday which means summer is officially over.  As I was packing things up, Grayson was looking at Lola's swim cap, I heard him say with a hint of frustration, "Why is EVERYTHING made in China?"  Smiling, I can't help but think about how Grayson is wising up to the ways of the world and he's about to start first grade.  That's crazy; I know I just rocked him to sleep a couple days ago:(  So not ready for tomorrow's first day!

No comments: