Matalley requested a Strawberry Shortcake birthday party before Christmas. It could be because we came across these cute SS dolls that were perfect for party favors, but I thought it was great and easy. Then about a month ago, Matalley said she wanted an Easter egg hunt at her party. Somehow that thought morphed into a hide and seek strawberry shortcake party and I couldn't wrap my head around a way to incorporate it all thematically. And when that happens, I procrastinate. On top of that every kid in her preschool class seems to have been born during the month of January or February...we are plum partied out folks. Next year we will all have to coordinate party dates because we ended up moving our party twice due to other parties scheduled for the same times. All that to say, we hosted a hide and seek party with a subtle strawberry shortcake theme this past weekend.
The invitation was hidden behind a grouping of presents and mailed to 5 girls...that is tricky since there are 7 girls in her class and she wanted to invite 2 that were not in her class. Hoping the 3 girls that were invited do not talk about it at school but at the same time, I'm on a budget and it's at my house. We can't invite the whole class just to spare feelings.
We had a "Search for the Pink Legos" game (since I had to do that anyway and it saved my cuticles:). Lola photo bombing...
Then we had an Easter Egg hunt with candy strawberries. (Note to self: Count candy before giving to Grayson to hide. I am still finding strawberries). We should have had a few of these hunts becasue the girls were really quick. We had a long scavenger hunt planned but it didn't take them near as long as I thought it would. The hunt ended in the kitchen for cake. I made individual rainbow cakes with a hidden flower ring in the yellow
layer. (Note to self: hide rings in the frosting because most kids don't
eat to the yellow layer).
And then, after opening presents, I thought the kids would play hide and seek. It only lasted 3 rounds and then one of the girls either got her feelings hurt or thought it was boring but she wanted me to call her mom (who's phone number I didn't have) and was fine to sit (with a sad face) in the kitchen while the other girls played. So then I suggested they all go play dress up and one of the other girls didn't like that idea so Matalley's feelings were hurt that "noone" would dress up. So then I suggested they open the presents and play with the new toys which happened to include some nail polish so they all sat and painted my nails. I was not ready for drama and if I had planned more strawberry hunts or a longer scavenger hunt (though one of the girls did say that was boring...the same one that wanted me to call her mom), maybe I wouldn't have green and pink smudged fingers for church on Sunday. Will I be able to handle kidnergarten girl drama?
And the girl who said my party was boring will not be invited back to our house for a LONG time, if ever.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Cracking up!
Post a Comment