Thursday, May 16, 2013

Phone

The problem with waiting so long between posts is that you forget all the cute funny stories that occurred during the previous two weeks.  If I could figure out how to write and download QUICKLY from my iphone, I'm sure I would be much better about posting.  I have lots of snippets of time during soccer practice and gymnastics and meetings where people talk too long.  I saw a news report today about kids utilizing ipads in school and how it replaces the need for books and paper so it saves so much money.  All I could think of is how difficult it must be for those of us functioning really well with stacks of paper.

The last few weeks have been preparing us for the chaos of summer.  Matalley finished her gymnastics class and although I know she would like to keep going, we're going to take a break for the summer (we have plenty of other stuff planned) and she'll just have to choose between it and soccer in the fall.

Stretching....


Jumping on balance beam...
 High Bar...


I would love for both Matalley and Grayson to play on a soccer team closer to our house with kids from their school  Most of the boys in first grade play baseball which has the same fall and spring seasons as soccer.  With baseball, you play LOTS more games and are therefore in the Panhandle Texas wind for much longer and I refuse.  The competition at this age is fierce too, with drafts and ranked rosters.  I have told Grayson he can be anything he wants to be but professional baseball is out of the question unless he walks onto a team in college with no previous practice experience.  Grayson doesn't love soccer (which is a shame because he is a REALLY smart player) but I'm sure if he had close friends playing, he would like it lots more.  His coach this year has put them into positions and because he has a powerful kick, he plays back which drives me insane.  I want them to rotate so that they can be good at any position (and it's just a lot more fun to watch kids score instead of freaking out if a ball gets past him).  Whatever, if anyone knows of a year round basketball league, please let me know.  That's all he wants to play right now.  One of the first grade teachers told me Grayson and his best friend are the commanders of the court at school...choosing teams and staying in charge of recess.  He's in his element...those bossy first kids;)

The kids and I went to Denver for YiaYia's birthday.  The Moms celebrated with Sense and Sensibility, the musical (YiaYia's treat) and it was lovely.  I have an intention to reread all of Jane Austin's books this summer now.  Brady and Bompa took the kids to the zoo.  Brady said 2 adults and 5 kids is harder than 1 adult and 2 kids...but the kids loved it. 

I am now a sustaining member of the Junior League...no more long meetings or volunteer obligations (at least not for junior league...plenty of other jobs to complete now)!
Mother's Day has now come and gone. 

I very much enjoyed my day at church, a perfect picnic lunch, and then hours spent working on the yard (not so much enjoyed as relieved that we got further in the process of making our yard beautiful).  In an assignment that rivals YiaYia painting the fence red or Bompa picking rocks out of the filled in swimming pool, I asked the kids to pick up acorns.  Our yard is covered with them and sadly the grass can't poke through.  After 3 years, it's looking a little patchy and makes too much room for potential weeds.  I told the kids after we picked up two full buckets worth, that from now on, 10 acorns will be required as punishments. 

Grayson responded with a facebook hack.  "This is my son's really weird face"  Time to password protect the phone (after I figure out how to blog post via phone).

No comments: