Monday, December 16, 2013

Cynical Santa

I think the kids are going to be disappointed in the big guy this year.  While we have made a conscious effort to focus each day on the Advent season (hidden bible verses throughout the house, advent wreath and discussion each night about Jesus' birth), we also acknowledge that Santa will be visiting soon. 

The Santa letters appeared yesterday and sadly, I think the lists are a little ridiculous...how many years ago were kids excited about receiving an orange?

From Matalley:
Dear Santa, Ipad and phone and American girl doll clothes and a spiral (notebook) and a cook set that is red and a  Rebecca doll, popcorn ball and another friend lego set and baby Jesus set.  I have been great.  I have cookies and Milk for you.  I love you Santa.You are the best.

From Grayson:
Dear Santa, I would like a kindle fire paperwhite HDX, Madden 25 for wii, Kevin Durant shoes (black, blue, and orange, size 6, just like Leos) and a iphone 5.  How is Mrs. Clause?  How do you get your reindeer to fly? I have been kind of good, kind of bad.  I would like infinity for wii and numchucks. You are awesome Santa.

I have explained that a gift is a gift and just because you ask Santa, doesn't mean you will get it; even if he is magic and it doesn't cost him anything.  This will be the first Christmas that they don't get what they have asked for (well Matalley got an Addy doll (the black slave girl story) last year when she asked for an American Girl doll that looked just like her...they do both have an older brother and younger sister so I thought it was close enough).

Lola told Santa she wanted a barbie but that is also not in the stocking this year.  I don't ever remember being disappointed in Santa but I can't remember if I got everything I wanted...praying the excitement of the morning and celebration of Jesus overcomes any selfish materialism this year.

We had another fun weekend, including Matt's office party. 
His company is very generous, allowing the kids to join in the fun of a fancy dinner, visit with Santa, and gifts.  We also made popcorn balls...lots of popcorn balls for teachers. 

It was sticky and Lola was hamming it up for the camera.
I'm giving her kudos though because she gave up the pacifier last week. While it's been a nighttime habit only, it was still difficult to concede.  We ended up not being able to find it one night and so I said it was over and she cried and cried. But the next morning, she was fine and she went to sleep without it the next night with no problem. 
Yay Lola!  And since your teeth will require dental work in a few years due to the paci, enjoy another popcorn ball on me.

No comments: