Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Last Post for 2013

And it just so happens, I'm cranky.  What's new?  The sad thing is that I really did try hard this year to keep things calm and the focus on Jesus' birthday.  Looks like I survived Christmas, only to be plagued by the New Year.  I'm blaming it all on hormones, lack of sleep and starvation bouts.

The last week has gone by quickly but it has been fun.  Due to the lack of posts, this will basically be a photo montage of all the activities but since I can't do the week over, you get what you get and you don't throw a fit.  It started with Lola's Christmas program.  She was very focused and had most of the words memorized for the 3 songs she learned...Frosty the Snowman, Rudolph, and Jingle Bells.
We made some gingerbread cookies and everyone got a turn rolling the dough and using the cookie cutters (I was a bit stressed at the relinquished control).
 The kids loved it though.
 Then we decorated and ate a LOT of frosting and sprinkles.
 Matalley had a goal to coat every inch of the cookies.
They may have been covered but it only added to the deliciousness of each cookie.
We got a few other baking projects in before Pops decided to revisit the hospital.  Our plans for Christmas Eve changed but we were still able to be together as a family.
The kids got to open up one present on Christmas Eve.  Matalley was excited to hear the news, until Grayson said, "don't get excited, it's always pajamas." 
 Lola was still excited to open her gift.
And then they all settled in for a reading of "The Animal's Christmas Eve" and an attempt to get to bed in less than 1 hour....ha, ha, ha, ha, ha.  The excitement was just too much for Grayson and then he got stressed that Santa would be in Amarillo before he was asleep.  Note to self, make sure bedtime on Christmas Eve is at least 2 hours before normal bedtime.
Santa was good to the kids, as well as everyone else.  Grayson said, "I guess I was good this year." I love that we kept him guessing:)
We were happy to have Tia join us Christmas morning before we got in the car and drove to Colorado.
 We made it just in time for another batch of present opening.  All in all the kids were very appreciative.  One gift mentioned the word homework and I heard Grayson say, "I don't want to do homework." (He was okay once he realized that it was just a movie title). 
 Matalley modeled some of her gifts.
 The cousins have enjoyed performing skits and musical numbers.
 How could they not love all the attention?
 We went bowling
 And turned stools into horses
 And visited the museum
 Which was crazy crowded
 But made for good people watching
 We also experienced zoo lights
Matalley did become a lost child at one point during the night but we found her quickly.  She didn't leave my side the rest of the night.  I was grateful for a good outcome and a teachable lesson.
And then another trip to the zoo during the day followed. Cousin time can be quite entertaining.  I've enjoyed the conversations.  Yesterday, Grayson explained to Nick that our family follows the rules because we don't want to be outlaws.  And Lola has made up quite a few songs to describe the days that we've had.  For instance, as Molly walked away, she sang, "Come back, I love you!"  It's been a good week and despite my crankiness, I am looking forward to more family time and 2014.  Hope you had a Happy New Year's Eve and many blessings to your 2014.

No comments: