Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Lapses in Time

I am the type of Mom that needs someone to freak out in order to elicit any immediate response. So when the nurse at school calls and tells me that Grayson had a little incident on the black top and may need me to take him somewhere else to get it cleaned up, I don't think I responded the way she wanted me to respond. I basically said, "Well is it still bleeding?" And when she said no, I said, "Can he go back to class until I get there?" I know that she is just trying to keep the kids in her office calm, but I'm just not that intuitive to recognize that it's an emergency or they wouldn't be calling. Of course, the fact that I was getting a flat tire fixed and Matt was in a meeting on the other side of town meant neither of us could get there immediately anyway. Poor Grayson; he left part of his body on the blacktop at school. I finally got him to Urgent Care for 5 stitches about 3 hours after his fall. He really didn't want the numbing shot and thread/needle anyway but he was still relieved to see me (after not crying in the nurses' office, he totally let me have it for not showing up right away).

It's going to be a nasty scar (Grayson is pretty excited about that). The incident made for an interesting back to school night. Apparently some of the 3rd grade teachers do not want the kids to run at recess so would like to use Grayson as an example of what can happen if you run. I told them I really didn't care since accidents happen and I would prefer he was running at RECESS (meaning a short period of time during the school day when children can PLAY). This was after they told me that the curriculum changed and that Grayson's class was the leap class so they would need us parents to teach our children lapses in time (obviously they don't know my track record for arriving 5 minutes late to everything) and counting money. I'm a little confused because I thought they learned that in first grade, but apparently it is something more in depth and I really don't know what we are supposed to teach him...just that they don't have time to do it.
Lola has helped me with errands during the day so that we have time for church, flag football, ballet, gymnastics, drum and choir lessons after school...it's basically a full time job driving them around, getting them to the right place at the right time and being there to pick them up in between taking the others to something else...and NOTHING is right next to anything convenient. It doesn't seem so stressful but considering traffic and road rage stories, I think it's extremely hazardous to my health. I have noticed that I get a headache about 15 minutes after the older 2 arrive home from school and it doesn't go away until after bedtime. I'm usually hoarse by bedtime too so I might be allergic to the kids. On this particular day, we were at the car shop for an oil change that turned into a steering wheel fluid fiasco.

After 3 hours, we were finally able to get a loaner. Lola was on a sugar rush from Hawaiian punch and Oreos (notice her mustache) and we got all the way home to realize that the house key and garage remote were with the van at the shop. Whatevs; I have plenty of time to drive around.

No comments: