Tuesday, January 31, 2017

School Pics and Conferences

I am the annoying Mom who thinks her kids are brilliant and wants the teachers to work extra hard to challenge them in every way (including requests for c's on things that obviously don't show much effort...i.e. handwriting). I'm not as bad as a sitcom Mom but some teachers may walk the other way when I approach the building. I request mid-year conferences just to access how all are doing. And get mad at the teachers who don't provide every ounce of encouragement they can muster.

A few weeks before Christmas, Grayson came home upset that he had been "kicked out" of one of his classes when he didn't come up with a good enough idea for a Cain's arcade project. Now I found the story fishy and emailed his teacher to see if I could hear the real story. He had indeed been kicked out but only to even up the class sizes and sadly he did miss out on the class arcade project. I told him that he could make his own at home and so he did. He made a hoop arcade and beat his Mom handedly.


Tonight I went to 6th grade orientation. And while I'm super excited to see how he takes it all in, I'm also super sad that he is one year closer to high school. They just start off so little. Lola is going to be in 5th grade before I know it and I just don't know how I'll be able to handle Millie starting elementary.

We had school pictures a while back. It was during the 3 months that Lola had a constant head boo-boo from multiple accidents. I'm glad her school picture recorded it for posterity. I also love Matalley's mismatched bow.

Millie doesn't have a school picture but I did take this one from a snowy day outing.
Another fun adventure this month was the art exhibit at our local art museum. The kids submitted artwork and attended the opening of the show to meet the other artists. We don't have art in school which drives me crazy but thankfully, the kids like art enough to do it on their own. The exhibit opening was fun (slightly nuts with Millie leading the pack to see as much artwork as possible, even if I said to slow down). 
 I really appreciated this moment...they are contained.
Maybe the teachers just need to figure out a way to contain me (hint: challenge my kids and love them like your own).

No comments: